|Rhubarb and pear pie|| |
Recipe type: Dessert
A rich firm pie with delightful shortbread like pastry
- 300g plain flour + bit extra
- 125g castor sugar
- Pinch salt
- 200g chilled butter + bit extra
- 1 egg yolk
- 1kg mixed rhubarb & pears (or firm apples)
- 2 tbs custard powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbs sugar
- 3tbs marmalade or apricot jam
- 1 - 3 tbs chilled water
- In a food processor combine flour, sugar and salt. Dice the butter and add to the flour. Pulse until just combined. Add egg yolk and pulse briefly. Add enough cold water until the pastry forms a ball. Knead briefly. Grease a 24cm cake tin with removable bottom and press ⅔ of pastry over the bottom and sides of the tin. Refrigerate the tin and extra dough until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 175*C
- Combine peeled and diced pear with rhubarb (1cm pieces), custard powder, cinnamon and sugar., and spread over the pie base. Roll out the rest of the pastry and cut into 1cm strips. Place over fruit in a crisscross pattern.
- Bake the pie for 45min until golden brown. Remove from the oven and glaze with the jam. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 min. Remove from the tin and serve warm or cold with cream or icecream.