After days of hot weather and salads I was ready for a change and decided on making a dutch style dinner of Rookwurst (a spicy dutch sausage) and a mixed vegetable mash (served with lots of mustard). This meal was a favourite of mine as a child and my children loved it too. The sausage if quite rich (fatty) and so you don’t need much, a whole sausage would feed 4 people, it’s also good in a pea and ham style soup. In Holland you can buy low fat and varieties with different flavours.
|Rookwurst with mash|| || |
- 1 Rookwurst dutch sausage
- 5 med sized potatoes peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 med sized zucchini (I used a yellow one)
- Bunch spinach finely sliced
- Creme fraiche or milk
- Salt /pepper
- Dijon mustard
- Boil the potatoes and zucchini until just done and mash together with nob of butter and a dessert spoon of creme fraiche or milk or cream. Stir in the spinach and cook on low heat (keep stirring) until the spinach wilts. Add some seasonings and more butter if needed.
- Simmer the sausage in water for 10 - 15 min (it's already cooked) until heated through.
- Serve with mustard.