It’s so hot today (day 3 over 40*) I struggled to think about cooking dinner but after a rest and shower my enthusiasm returned and I made the zucchini slice I’ve been thinking about for days. This recipe is an old family favourite, it can be jiggled with depending on what is available in the garden and to particular tastes; vegetarians just omit the bacon and chorizo (or add spinach, corn, mushrooms or strong cheese). The slice uses up excess zucchini, is quite cheap and very easy to make. I use free range eggs -I am lucky to have a neighbour with free range chickens and serve the slice with a homemade tomato sauce and salad (Ezme chilli sauce would be lovely with it).
|Zucchini slice|| |
- 100gm cubed speck or bacon pieces (optional)
- 100gm cubed chorizo sausage
- 400gm zucchini grated
- 75gm finely chopped onion
- 100gm grated tasty cheese (I used mozzarella)
- 100gm feta cheese (broken up)
- 1 cup self raising flour
- ½ cup oil (cold press olive oil)
- 5 eggs lightly beaten
- 100gm roasted and peeled red capsicum pieces chopped
- Preheat oven to moderate (180*C).
- Fry the speck and chorizo until golden and the fat is rendered.
- Mix together all the ingredients and place in a lined baking dish.
- Bake for 30 min or until golden and cooked through.
- Serve hot, warm or cold.